Pawtucket Avenue Bridge
Temporary Closures and Traffic Pattern Changes
East Providence: As part of the Pawtucket Ave. Bridge replacement project, the following closures and traffic pattern changes will be in effect from Friday, May 19 at 7 p.m. through Monday, May 22 at 6 a.m. Please follow signed detours during all closures:
- Pawtucket Ave. North and South over I-195 at the Pawtucket Ave. Bridge will be closed.
- The Pawtucket Ave. on-ramp to I-195 West will be closed.
- I-195 East and West under Pawtucket Ave., travel lanes reduced from three to two. All traffic will shift to I-195 East on Saturday and I-195 West on Sunday.
- The East Shore Expressway North will be closed to traffic from 10 p.m. Friday until 6 a.m. Monday. Please follow signed detour using the Wampanoag Trail, Pawtucket Ave., and the Veterans Memorial Pkwy. to reach I-195 West.
- The on-ramp from Warren Ave. to I-195 West will be closed during the overnight hours Friday through Sunday from 10 p.m. until 7 a.m. the following morning. Traffic using this ramp during the daytime hours Saturday and Sunday will have to yield before entering the highway.
- I-195 East at Exit 7 (East Shore Expressway) will remain open for vehicles in the right travel lane.
East Providence: As part of the Pawtucket Ave. Bridge replacement project, the following traffic patterns will be re-implemented as of Monday, May 22 after the weekend bridge closure:
- Pawtucket Ave. North and South over I-195 will continue to have one travel lane in each direction.
- Left turns for Pawtucket Ave. northbound to I-195 West will continue to not be permitted; follow signed detour using Warren Ave.
- Richmond: I-95 South, from Exit 3 (Rte. 138) to Exit 1 (Rte. 3), right shoulder closed for mowing, Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Richmond to West Greenwich: I-95 North and South, from Exit 3 (Rte. 138) to Exit 5 (Rte. 102), right shoulder closed on the ramps for mowing, Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Temporary Exit Closure
- Providence: Due to a new traffic pattern, motorists on I-95 South to I-195 East do not have access to Exit 2 (Gano St./India St.). Follow detour using Exit 5 (Warren Ave.) to reverse direction and use I-195 West to Exit 3 (Gano St.). This restriction should be in place through mid-June.
Temporary Traffic Pattern - Divided Highway
- Providence: I-195 East and West, between the I-95 interchange and Exit 2 (EB: India St./Gano St.; WB: South Main St.), three lanes to the left and one to the right for bridge work through the end of May.